Cosmetology Career Academy
Welcome and thank you for taking the time to explore a career in one of the most exciting, glamorous, and cutting edge occupations!
Cosmetology teaches applicable technical skills designed for hair, skin and nails. You will be exposed to a wide variety of situations in the field of Cosmetology and Barbering, including manicuring, facial massages, scalp treatments, permanent waving, cutting techniques for men and women, the newest color trends, and so much more.
Our curriculum is in sync with the Colorado State Board of Cosmetology and Barber laws and licensing. As new rules and regulations change, our curriculum is updated to meet those changes.
During the first two months of the program, students will be introduced by lecture, textbook, and demonstrations to numerous subjects within the cosmetology field. You will then perfect those skills in the remaining months of the program by applying practicing them on clients in the salon. You’ll gain hands on experience working with the public in actual job-like situations, as well as learning hands-on skills at receptionist desk management and scheduling appointments.
LCC’s Cosmetology Career Academy offers Barber, Cosmetology, Hair Stylist and Nail Technician certificate programs, as well as an AAS in Cosmetology. Each certificate/degree program provides students with the skills and knowledge to successfully complete the Colorado State Board of Barbers and Cosmetology licensing examinations. Students are assisted in applying for the examination and subsequent license upon completion of their program at Lamar Community College.
While the program is designed to give students the necessary skills to complete the Colorado State Board of Barbers and Cosmetology licensing exams, many students have successfully completed multiple state licensure exams due to our close proximity to Kansas and Oklahoma.
If you are creative, like meeting new people, trying new trends and styles and like working with other creative and ambitious people you could have a fun and rewarding career in the field of Cosmetology that begins at Lamar Community College.
|Cosmetology||A.A.S.||Cosmetology Degree Plan|
|Cosmetology||Certificate||Cosmetology Certificate Plan|
|Hair Stylist||Certificate||Hair Stylist Certificate Plan|
|Nail Technician||Certificate||Nail Technician Certificate Plan|
|Barber||Certificate||Barber Certificate Plan|
LCC’s Cosmetology program offers Barber, Cosmetology, Hair Stylist and Nail Technician certificate programs, as well as an AAS in Cosmetology. Each certificate/degree program provides students with the skills and knowledge to successfully complete a certificate exam for licensure in the subject area. These programs meet the Colorado State Board of Barbers and Cosmetology contact hour requirements.
Certificate programs develop skills for employment and are not intended for transfer into advanced programs in college and universities.
- Apply the theory of Cosmetology or Barbering to clients.
- Analyze the hair, scalp, and facial shape.
- Perform various cutting edge and on trend haircuts for men and women.
- Demonstrate proper permanent waving procedures.
- Perform various types of coloring techniques.
- Demonstrate numerous hairstyling techniques.
- Perform facials, makeup, and facial hair removal.
- Perform proper manicuring, pedicuring and artificial nail procedures.
- Effectively schedule appointments with clients.
- Apply various business skills in your new career.
Gainful Employment Information
See below for the most up to date information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attend our programs.
- Students must be enrolled in the college.
- Must be at least 16 years of age (birth certificate required).
Cost of Textbooks/Supplies
- Tuition based on total number of credits taken.
- The cost may vary from semester to semester.
- Course Kits:
- Nail Books and Nail Kit is approximately $800
- Cosmetology Books and Kit is approximately $1500
- Barber Books and Kit is approximately $1200
- Kits include all the tools and supplies you need to perform various practical skills within your field of study. They are yours to keep and use upon completion of state board licensure in your new career.
As a student in the Cosmetology, Barbering, or Nail Tech programs, you’ll get plenty of hands-on experience in the LCC Salon. You’ll gain real-world experience in a range of capacities in our full-service salon and be ready to enter the workforce once you’ve finished your program.
The LCC Salon is open to community members as well as LCC students, faculty, and staff. Learn more about the Salon including hours, a menu of services, and more.